It seems everyone has a webpage today. Not everyone, however, can appear at the top of the page when your customer ‘Googles’
or ‘Bings’ your keywords. The competition to reach that coveted first or second listing is increasingly heated and can leave those who do not have +$60k for a full time SEO Expert feeling helpless. However, there are some simple tips you can follow to improve your ranking with just a little elbow grease. Here are 14 tips that I have seen even some of the ‘Big Boys’ forget.
1. Use Alt tags for EVERY photo and image on ALL pages on your site. Often website creators and “SEO experts” will only focus on the home page. This leaves numerous chances to improve your PageRank untouched.
2. When writing Alt tags, use keywords and creative, unique descriptions.
3. Title each page with a unique descriptive title which includes long-tail keywords at the beginning.
4. Use internal links when appropriate & possible.
5. When linking, attempt to use appropriate keywords instead of, or at least in addition to, ‘(Click Here).”
6. Link to your Social platform accounts (when possible, not just at the top & bottom of articles but also within. For example, in an article about ‘bee keeping’, you might want to link to a collection of photos on your Pinterest account showing urban bee hives).
7. For links that you do not want to pass PageRank value to (thereby passing higher PageRank value to other links) add the tag: rel=”nofollow” (Note: Using or not using this tag will not impact the PageRank of the page containing the link in question, only the page(s) you are linking to. An example when you might use this tag would be for a link to your “Previous Contests” page.).
8. Utilize search engine friendly permalinks & never include ‘&’, ‘?’ or other special characters in your URL’s (hyphens can be utilized as long as you do not over use them, but avoid underscores ‘_’ to make it easier to correctly read your URL).
9. Utilize sub-directories instead of sub-domains which are viewed as a unique domain by search engines.
10. Allow users to subscribe to category specific RSS feeds.
11. Avoid using session id’s within your URL’s.
12. Use stick tags & tag clouds.
13. Define your audience & write to them but from a perspective you are passionate about – it will show in your writing & thereby increase your comments & engagement (both important to SEO).
14. Write frequently and on a regular basis. Search engines will increase your page ranking if you frequently update your content – however it should be on a regular basis. Spiders attempt to learn your posting schedule and will check pages accordingly. If you have long & irregular breaks between content creation, spiders will not necessarily know when to check your site & thereby delay reflecting your new content.
Article by Matthew F Dykstra. http://www.Tredigital.com is a strategic advisory and accountability company. We make digital marketing simple while optimizing your budget.
We help mid-size (20-100 employees) companies understand how changes in business, technology and media impact their customer expectations. We provide strategy and education services to improve customer acquisition and nurture loyalty with the new breed of consumer – the “connected consumer.”
We work with you to supplement and optimize your existing sales and marketing approach with strategies around social, mobile, local, content, emerging technology and more.
Call us for a FREE initial consultation: 650-336-8730